Rainbow Chard Tart
1 3/4 c. unbleached flour
5 T unsalted butter
1/4 c. plus 2 T. e-v olive oil
1-3 T ice water
1 large bunch of chard (about 3/4 pound)
1 sprig of rosemary
1 large egg yolk
1 onoin finely diced
1 glove garlic (scapes ok)
3 large eggs
1/3 c. heavy cream
3/4 c. freshly grated parmesan or pecorino cheese (2 1/2 oz)
fresh ground pepper
1. Combine flour and 1/2 tsp salt in a bowl or food processor and poulse a few times to mix
2. Add butter and poulse until it looks like course bread crumbs
3. Pour in 1/4 c. oliv oil and pulse
4. Add the ice water and poulse until dough begins to form. Use fingers to press into a 10" tart pan with removeable base. Wrap loosely for about an hour and refrigerate
5. clean the chard leaves, remove the stems,(save them). Trim the ends off the chard stems and discard.
6. Cut the stems into small dice, like an onion. Cut the chard leaves in half lengthwise and then 1 " strips. Strip the rosemary leaves from the stem and chop coursely.
7. Heat oven to 400.
8. Remove the crust from the refrigerator and bak until crust is golden brown, 12-15 minutes,
9. While baking mix the egg yolk with a pinch of salt. Remove the crust from the oven and brush it with the egg yolk. Bake until the glaze is set, (2 min) and remove from oven
10. Heat olive olive oil over low heat , add onion, a pinch of salt, and cook stirrind accasionally. Add the chard stems and rosemary...later add garlic and then stir in onion and chard stems together...until stems are tender.
11. Add chard leaves and season with salt. Cook until leaves are wilted and soft and liquid has evaporated.
12. Beat together the eggs and cream and add the chard mixture and grated cheese...mix well.
Scrape the filling into the prepared shell. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Serve warm or room temp.