Grilled veggies are always an easy and fun summer dish - give your eggplant some extra flavor with this simple Asian style peanut sauce!INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
1 garlic clove, minced
1 onion, minced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons oriental sesame oil
1 1/4 pounds eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
vegetable oil for brushing the eggplant
Sprinkle the eggplant lightly with salt, let it drain in a colander for 1 hour, and pat it dry.INSTRUCTIONS
1. In small bowl, whisk together peanut butter, soy sauce, sugar and lemon juice.
2. In a small saucepan cook the garlic, onion, red pepper flakes and the sesame oil over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened.
3. Add peanuts butter mixture and 1 cup water, bring to boil stirring occasionally thickened slightly.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Brush the eggplant, patted dry, with the vegetable oil and grill it on an oiled rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals, turning it, for 7 to 8 minutes, or until it is just cooked. Transfer the eggplant to a serving plate and spoon the peanut sauce over it.