A great warm summer dish that complements a fruit side dish or dessert.
2 medium zucchini, - cut into 1/2 inch chunks
2 medium peppers, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
3 c. broccoli florets
1 medium red onion, cut into chunks
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 TBSP EVOO
12 oz. whole grain penne (or regular)
2 oz. grated Pecorino cheese ( 3/4 c)
1 can (15 oz) or fresh tomatoes
1/2 c. fresh basil leaves
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1. Heat a pot of salted water to boiling. Preheat the oven to 450.
2. Using a large bowl, combine the onion, garlic, oil, broccoli, peppers, and zucchini. Divide these vegetables evenly on two jelly roll pans or large cookie sheets, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and roast for 15-20 minutes until browned and tender.
3. While the vegetables cook, add penne to the boiling water. Reserve a 1/2 c. of the water but drain the rest after cooking. Return the pasta to the pot.
4. Add to the pasta, tomatoes, pecorino, basil, crushed red pepper, and the roasted vegetable mixture. Add 1/2 tsp salt (optional); add cooking water and stir to combine .
5. Cook lightly for 2 additional minutes to rewarm mixture and serve.