Rissoto with Broccoli Rabe
5 c. chicken stock or Vegetable stock
3 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 dried red chile or 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 large bunch rabe...discard any tough stems
Kosher salt or sea salt
1 1/2 c. semi-pearled farro
Fresh ground pepper
parmesan cheese, for grating
**Rabe has bitter undertones but cooking brings out the sweetness.
1. Simmer stock in a saucepan, heat 2 T olive oil over med heat until hot but not smoking.
2. Add the garlic and chile and cook until fragrant but not browned.
3. Add the rabe and season with salt, stirring to coat with oil. Cook until the rabe begins to wilt (about 2 minutes) Add about 1/4 c. of the stock and continue to cook until the broccoli rabe is tender and liquid has evaporated.
4. Add the remaining oil and stir in farro. Toast the farro for about 2 minutes. Stir frequently until all the stock has been absorbed..20-25 min. You may not need all the stock.
5. Season with salt and pepper...let stand 2 min. Parmesan cheese on top is great!